Friday, April 13, 2012

Langkawi or Sabah

Hi



I am having trouble deciding between Langkawi and Sabah for a family holiday in April for 10 - 12 days after a couple in KL.There is five of us, 3 kids 8-16,and we are looking for a family friendly 4-5* resort, a bit of snorkeling and shopping any help would be appreciated



Thank you in advance



Faulty



Langkawi or Sabah


Hello Faulty,



Even though I love east Malaysia (Sarawak and Sabah) and call it my home much of the year I would have to say that Langkawi is set up better for family entertainment. It is easier and often cheaper to go on snorkel tours, nature tours, etc in Langkawi. They also have things like the cable car, go carts, underwater world that kids really love.





Langkawi is more touristy but not oppressively so. The whole island of Langkawi is duty free and there is lots of great shopping in Kuah. Driving is also much safer in Langkawi than the rest of Malaysia and rental cars are very cheap. The island is pretty small, has a low population, and it is almost impossible to get lost on. There is also a larger variety of beach resorts.





If you would like to tell me your budget (in what currency) I would be happy to point you to a few resort web sites.



Langkawi or Sabah


Thank you for that information I was leaning towards Langkawi. My budget is approx $200 Australian/night but i%26#39;m not sure how that will spread if we have to get two rooms with the kids?Willing to put a bit more in for the right place



Thanks for your quick response



Faulty




Hello again Faulty,



Well according to my trusty currency converter 200 Australian translates into Malaysian 566. That’s a really good budget and April is a pretty cheap month to be in Langkawi. There is a holiday on the 11th and May 1st but other than that I cant think of anything that would keep you from getting some great deals.





You should easily be able to get 2 rooms for RM 566 at several 3 and 4 star places. I take it you would like beach front with a decent location?





I will list them in order of cheapest to most expensive. Rates will be slow season bargained for rates. You will notice I will say “Have to walk to Pantai Cenang” a lot. Many hotels are on Patai Tengah which is a nice beach located right next door. Pantai Cenang is known as a better beach though. Pantai means beach by the way.





Aseania Resorts Langkawi (starts at RM 130)



aseaniaresortsgroup.com.my/langkawi/index.ht…



Pros- Nice place, excellent pool for kids. (Perhaps best pool in Langkawi). Superb price. Still very close to many of the other resorts listed below.



Cons- Not directly on the beach, you have to walk for 5 minutes to get there. Not as classy as some but still resort quality (It is a RM 130 hotel close to a beach).





The Lanai Langkawi (RM 140-150)



http://www.lanaibeach.com.my/



Pros- Nice fun place. Cute beach resort much like a smaller version of the Holiday Villa. Good value. Underrated place.



Cons- Have to walk to Pantai Cenang, not a lot of children’s facilities.





Langkasuka Resort (RM 150)



http://www.langkasukabeachresort.com.my



Pros- Price, close to airport, kids club I believe.



Cons- Not on the main beach (Patai Cenang), not as fancy as some places. Have a short drive to other hotel area.





Federal Villa (RM 170)



www.federalvillalangkawi.com/index.html



Pros-Price, close to many resorts and walking distance to prime beach. Sister hotel to the more expensive Holiday Villa. Has playground.



Cons- Have to walk to Pantai Cenang (easy walk though), not as fancy as sister hotel.





Langkawi Village Resort (RM 200)



http://www.langkawi-villageresort.com/



Pros- One of my favorites (but we don’t have kids). Fun feeling place. Located next door to places like Federal/Holiday Villas.



Cons- Short walk to Cenang. Not as many kids facilities perhaps.





Holiday Villa Langkawi (RM 210)



holidayvilla.com.my/HVlangkawi/hvlangkawi.htm



Pros- Nice place, western resort quality with Malaysian feel. A bit classier than the two cheaper ones. Close to many other resorts.



Cons- Have to walk to Pantai Cenang (Easy walk Hotel is located on Patai Tengah next door)





Well that should get you started. If you want something higher end please let me know. Most/All of these places should allow you to get 2 rooms and still come in under your budget. I would recommend getting a rental car regardless of where you stay. Most beach hotels will still be at least 20 minutes drive from the main settlement of Kuah.





Have a great holiday.




Thanks once again for your information I have looked at the suggested hotels and am thinking maybe more upmarket as in the Pelangi Beach Resort.Could you tell me what we could expect to pay for an all inclusive 8 night stay during april



thanks



Faulty




I booked my stay via http://www.precisionreservations.com and got a really good deal ... would recommend to everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment