Saturday, April 21, 2012

things to do in Pinang

me and my fiancee are going to be traveling to Pinang for our honeymoon for about 5 days. any ideas as to what we can do there? anything romantic exciting or even historical? we will be staying at the northam all suites. any thoughts about that hotel? let us know...





things to do in Pinang


Northam is a decent hotel; just be careful of snatch thefts on the road frontage just in front of the hotel (sharing with office blocks, the courthouse and a bank). A relative of mine leaving the office was deliberately knocked down by a motorcyclist and had her handbag snatched. Luckily she was only grazed. Not to say that hotel is not in a good neighbourhood - just snatch thieves are everywhere nowadays.





There are no shops in the neighbourhood; just a couple of eateries but if you walk to exit behind the hotel (back of their car park), a small road will lead you to some chic restaurants (various cuisines). I like the Casablanca. Again, if you go to that area during the night, ask your Mrs to be careful of her handbag and always be aware of who is coming up behind her.





Your concierge will show you where to go for historical buildings and sights. Penang can be quite sedate. I don%26#39;t go clubbing so the most exciting thing I do is window shopping at the malls! However, I can recommend Bagan Restaurant and Bar along Jalan Bagan Jemal which has a nice ambience for dinner and/or drinks with nice jazzy live music. They close on Sundays tho.





You do not mention when you will be here; this month the city council has started a pedestrian night street market along Campbell Street, which is part of old Penang.





Have a good honeymoon!



things to do in Pinang


we will be going to 8/4-8/7...anything interesting to do in langkawi (7/29-7/31) kuala lumpur(7/26-7/29 and 8/7-8/11) and pangkor island 8/4-8/7). anything romantic exciting interesting etc.




Penang has tons of historic and cultural sights to see and temples and hills and beaches and malls and markets and much more still, and I am not knocking any of that, but one thing Penang will always stick in my mind for is its food. Not talking exclusive expensive restaurants here (although it boasts those too), its street food (hawkers stalls) are some of the best I have came across anywhere in Asia. Or anywhere period. Make sure you allow plenty of time to just hang around and eat in Penang. You won’t regret it. I only sightsee in Penang in between my hawkers stalls appointments.




Thistlegirl





Where would you go for your %26#39;hawkers stall appointments%26#39;? I will be going to Penang for two nights and intend to do a lot of eating over this period. I%26#39;ll be staying at the E%26amp;O. Where should I start my grazing? Thanks.




staying at E%26amp;O? WOW!! its like you are staying in Raffles hotel SG, but that Penang version.. I was there several years ago, but must say, I love it, more like Victorian style of design. Within walking distance is Penang street, their Chinatown, with morning market and at night, there are stalls setup in front Cititel Hotel, which is ~10min walk from E%26amp;O. However, if you don%26#39;t mind walking, try walk into City Bayview and take a map from their service counter, it has a walking map telling you where to go and around that area. THat%26#39;s what I did. However, I hope no changes. There is also a bus counter at City Bayview for coach service to SG with night stay too.





E%26amp;O, I love the swimming pool which is just besides the sea (no beach) and the few cannons that still stand around at the hotel ground. Enjoy your stay




Thanks bbmars!! I appreciate your enthusiasm and advice - which I will print out and take with me. I%26#39;ll do exactly as you suggest in relation to the walking map. It%26#39;s a great idea. The E%26amp;O does look fabulous. I can%26#39;t wait.




mumblesxdo,





Not sure of anything interesting during that time; but from August 13, the Chinese community celebrate the Hungry Ghost Festival, which lasts about 30 days. Don%26#39;t know about elsewhere; in Penang, you will find some sort of stage show (either modern or the old) along with prayers in almost every district.





Have fun!




Don%26#39;t forget to go Gurney Drive for favourite past time eating along the coast. Famous there and opens in the evening. But crowded and there is a Macdonald nearby if you have children, there is a playgrouond inside for their entertainment should you run out of ideas. take a taxi there, fixed price 5 years ago, was RM5, no bargaining and I think all charge the same rate. So no problem of being ripped off badly. Also in the same area, you find Gurney Plaza shopping centre. I think there are pubs along the walk way. Not too bad. Just walk around that area, you will find some other eating house around there, especially one of the new hotel in that area, can%26#39;t remember the name.





You can also book a taxi for the day, then the rate was RM25/hr, 1/5 or full day trip, else, based on no. of hours travelled. No problem, you can get it outside the hotel or any hotel. Not sure, just ask them to recommend places of interest.




Bayes,





The Gurney Drive hawkers stalls is a very big, (fairly) well organised and delicious hawker centre, and not far from the E %26amp; O. That%26#39;s where I%26#39;d be making a bee-line for. But you fall over the hawkers stalls and small simple eateries in Penang, so you never have to look to far.




where can i find good rates for the E%26amp;O?

No comments:

Post a Comment