Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Trip Report on shopping in KL

For all shopperholics out there





Firstly, thank you to everyone who answered my questions before I left on where to shop and also for generous replies to other posters that included information I used.





Shopping Centres:



I like bargains so most of my shopping was at Sungwei Plaza and BB Plaza. I bought the odd piece (usually shoes!) from a couple of other shopping centres (Mid Valley Megamall, Lot 10, KL Plaza etc) but these two, which were also just outside our hotel (the Capitol) were the most convenient, and reasonably priced and therefore the ones I frequented.





I am a comfortable size 14 (Australian) and so was thrilled to find tops (more of the t’shirt material variety, but very trendy) that fitted me!! Sungei Wang had 2 of these shops where I bought about 6 tops – one’s called G2 – level LG near the entrance to Parkson Grand. The other shop was OC (I think) on Level F (the yellow end) and was next to the entrance to BB Plaza (BB Plaza and Sungei Wang are attached to each other and you can enter one from the other). Both these shops sold similar sort of clothes. The tops were between RM22- RM28. Excellent value at about AUS$10 or less each!





Though I did find non-stretch material tops that fitted - I found that most were either tight on the sleeves or if they fitted there, were tight across the bust.





Skirts were TINY– so I stopped looking! Didn’t look at pants because I don’t wear them so not sure about them, sorry.





But all in all there were more bigger sizes in clothes (even in shops that said “free size” to my question of “what size is this?”!) than there were 4 years ago during our last visit.





Did visit FOS (Factory Outlet Shop) at KL Plaza but not that impressed – felt like I was in a clothes shop back home – nothing “different”. Did buy a black GAP t’shirt for myself (long line, elbow length sleeves and round neck) for RM16.50. CHEAP! But not everything was necessarily cheap there either.





Heaps of handbags and shoes everywhere you go. As I said I love a bargain and so stuck to either the RM20 shelves or the 50% off shelves with the shoes! Very satisfied with the shoes I came home with! I am an Australian Size 7 ½ to 8 and found that size 38 to 39 fitted me depending on the narrowness of the shoe. I also saw the sizes go upto about 41 in some cases. Didn’t notice if they had bigger sizes than that. Sometimes they didn%26#39;t have a size 39 of the shoe I wanted.





Just a piece of advice if you are there for a few days – spend a day just looking and working out what you like – or else you’re likely to go crazy with the buying and possibly regret it when you see nicer things when your money’s beginning to run out!





Also when you want a different size to what is on the shelf the shop assistant asks you to wait while she or he runs off (to where they store the shoes??) to get what you want. So be patient!





China Town:



Petaling Street in China Town during the day (in the past we’ve only been there at night) was far more relaxing, especially if you’ve never been in Asia before and find CROWDS and the lack of space a little scary. Go in the day time (easy to catch a train there) and walk in the middle of the street and they don%26#39;t bug you as much. Then to experience it all go again at night! It%26#39;s great fun really.





We bought DVDs - 5 for RM40 (RM8 each - which seems steep, but we actually got to view these ones at a nearby shop before paying for them). The other DVD sellers wouldn’t go down from RM10 each and there was no way to view them! this is during the day - maybe they are easier to bargain with at night? didn%26#39;t try at night.





I also bought a Burberry jacket – knee length double closing – zip inside section, buttons on the outside part – for RM70 (after being quoted RM200 to start with!). It’s not really my usual style but it looked soooo genuine that I just had to get it. There were only 2 stalls that sold about 5 of them each (even when we returned one night) so I’m trying to convince myself that it’s the real thing! Even the tag is original looking with embossed writing and original looking ink (the tags of things they claim is an original often look fake). Anyway, I was pretty pleased with that buy! I’ll find out soon when winter hits properly over here how genuine it is!





In China town we also visited the Central Markets – great Pashmina shawls (not necessarily genuine but feel similar enough with the most glorious colours!) the cheapest being around RM20 each. Also heaps of batik and other crafty stuff. Great for souvenirs.





Another shopping centre we found in this area was called the Reject Shop and is good for cheap kid’s sneakers, cheap fake Crocs (about RM10 a pair), and a range of stuff from homewares, to bags, to clothes.





TIP: Outside this Reject Shop there are lockers that you pay RM2 for to leave your shopping. Quite safe - we filled 2 lockers and felt so much better walking around with free hands - able to buy MORE! Needless to say we caught a taxi back to the hotel after picking up all our bags.





Markets:





Bought a very nice GUESS handbag (approx 35cm x 20cm) at the night street markets near our hotel – I think it was Bukit Bintang street - for RM60 (a lot of bargaining – quoted RM150 to begin with). I can pass for a Malay-mix so I make the most of it! Have good Malaysian and Singaporean friends so I put on the accent too!





Also visited the Arab area – the Saturday night markets there were a real eyeopener. But the clothes etc are a little too “bright” so just enjoyed people watching and experiencing all the amazing smells, sights, sounds and tastes! We tried all sorts of food. It’s worth visiting just to have a look and if you like trying different food.



Trip Report on shopping in KL


Loved your report on shopping, we also stayed at the Capitol, perfect for shopping isnt it, your report will certainly help up and coming shopaholics



Cathy



Trip Report on shopping in KL


Do you know if there were smoking and non-smoking floors at the hotel? Its just that I think we were given a smoking floor.... not nice when you%26#39;re not a smoker!




Thank you soooooo much Ebony ivory for your great report. I%26#39;m a Brisvegas girl heading home from the U.K. in July with a 4 day stop in K.L. and had hoped to do LOTS of shopping. After reading TA reviews I%26#39;ve chosen the Mandarin Oriental. Two questions.....do you know is it far to Sungwei Plaza from this hotel and do you barter at the Plaza or just at the markets?




Its sungeiwang plaza. You may need to check out where is Mandarin Oriental, I can%26#39;t rememebr where, but don%26#39;t think its near. outside SungeiWang, there is the Bukit Bintang LRT. However, not all areas are connected by train. I am from SG, but I used to go up to KL in Dec with my Family for short break and some shopping.





Anothere place which you may want to considere in your shopping iteinery is Mid Valley Mall, you can take KTM train there or if by Taxi, just beware. ALWAYS ask for meter reading. Don%26#39;t be rip off by the taxi drivers. Even meter reading too, there are bad cooks that will tempered with the meters.. so beware. Apart from that, its alright.





My advice to you, go to Yahoo.com,my, do your search under Malaysia to avoid other unrelated information appearing immediately on the n1st few pages of your browser. I do have some inforamtion on shopping, if you need more info, msg me.. I can post them here.









http://www.sungeiwang.com/




Thank you bbmars for your helpful tips especially the taxis. I%26#39;ve been reading lots in the forum about them and will try hard not to get ripped off......such a shame about this as everything else I read is so positive. Sorry I got the Plaza name wrong....I just copied it from Ebony ivory%26#39;s report but have now noted the correct name. I%26#39;m so impressed with TA and have told all my friends how helpful everyone is. Best wishes.




Hi ebony,





Another impressive report ! This one is very helpful for fellow female shoppers whom some of us locals can%26#39;t comment much on clothes and shoe shopping.





Hi silvathreads,





Mandarin Oriental is located next to Twin Tower and Suria CC shopping mall. Sungai Wang, Low Yat, Lot 10, and Starhill Gallery are located in Bukit Bintang area which has LRT but not connected to MO. Walking is about 15 mins or taxi will cost RM5-10 (for metered service or use bargain).





www.malaysia-maps.com/kuala-lumpur-map.htm





Click on the right top and right bottom area of the KL map will show you location of Mandarin Oriental and Bukit Bintang.





Have a nice day




Hello Alex mcca......thanks for giving me the map site and the approx. cost of a taxi to the shopping centres. Everyones advise has been much appreciated and I%26#39;m really looking forward to my visit. Best wishes........




Hey silva - looks like all your questions were answered already.





Happy shopping!




You are weclome. I actually had a grahical map from this KL website, but unable to post it here. Its kind of a 3D map on paper with most major shopping and hotels on it. However, last check with the website, they had already removed them. I find it very useful at a glance and I only have it in words document which I usually print out for my trip to KL in Dec.. which I will be there again this Dec.





You see, it all started becasue my wife is so scare of MY crime rate... SO I had to do lots of reading up and find out informations to pacify her.... ha..ha...... ...




Ebony %26amp; Bbmars

No comments:

Post a Comment