Saturday, April 21, 2012

Anti malarian tablets

Hi there





We are travelling to Bali and KL from London.





We were prescribed anti-malarian tablets but do we really need them?





I was told by someone who was there previously there is no need for us for to take them.





Would anyone advise please



Anti malarian tablets


Anywhere on west coast of peninsula Malaysia, there is no need for antimalarials unless you prefer to. However, kindly take my advice at your own risk; :)



Anti malarian tablets


Rule of thumb is to ask your own GP. For me, well I go with gasman and also say you don%26#39;t need in West Malaysia.





Borneo yes, but elswhere no !




thanks





well my GP said yes





BUT





my friends who went there last year were told by their GPs no to bother, many people I know have been there said no, so I am very confused!!




Let me put it this way. Crossing a busy road, there is always a remote chance you can get hit by a vehicle. There are no certainties in life.





The urban West Coast is considered malaria-free; BUT I still hear of cases of malaria in Penang; maybe once in two years. I don%26#39;t know of KL or elsewhere. If you cannot afford to fall sick after a vacation, then go ahead and take your pills. If you think the potential side-effects from the pills is just too great a risk for you, then don%26#39;t take them. So you just have to choose whether it is essential for you to take that risk to cross that busy road.




Maybe your GP is making a recommendation for the Bali leg of your trip, rather than the Malaysian part.




Hi



Im new to this malaysian site



I have been to bali numerous times and to KL once





you dont need malaria tablets unless you are going into the forests or jungles



I think it is much more important to have a hep B injection and tecknas (not sure of spelling) and maybe tyfoid injection





cheers julie




Julie is correct. If you are not going into forests and jungles, you can skip antimalarials. Hepatitis A (and perhaps B); and tetanus are more important considerations. You did not say when you will be coming. Hepatitis jabs need a 2 - 3 months stretch to get adequately vaccinated. If you%26#39;ve had a tetanus jab in the last 10 years, you won%26#39;t need one. Typhoid might be a good idea too.




hi all





I have had my jobs good month and half ago! So I am not that worried about that.





Anyway I have 3 more days to go and can%26#39;t wait!





MajaM




Sorry I meant jabs





and yes I also have a job!





(it%26#39;s too early in the morning!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment