Monday, April 16, 2012

A question for Big W or other recent visitors to Rasa Ria

Hi Big W





I read with interest your reply to another post today about the Rasa Ria and some recent bad reports from other travellers.





My hubby and I visited KK last Oct for 7 nights staying at Magellan and loved everything about it, so much so that we are going back again this Sept and have organised a group of 16, eight of these between 18 %26amp; 29 and the other eight more of a mature age (45+). We plan to spend the first 4 nights of our holiday at The Rasa Ria and the other 6 nights at Magellan. The guys plan to ride the quad bikes %26amp; play some golf at RR, while the girls hope to visit the orang-utans and relax around the pool.





My concern is that a few recent reports have given the Rasa Ria a really bad review - bugs in the rooms, rundown rooms etc and I am a bit concerned because I have organised this trip for everyone, and while we don’t expect the Ritz I would be devastated if we got there and things weren’t quite as we expected. Judging from the website and out Travel Agent’s recommendations, the place looked great.





Can you give please me your honest opinion - I did read your trip report and it sounded as though you really enjoy this place - we are staying in the seaview rooms as the garden view rooms were unavailable.





One more question for you or any of the other golfing enthusiasts out there - do you need to have a golfing handicap to play at the Rasa Ria or Sutera Harbour golf courses? The 8 golfers in our group are all social players here in Perth, and do not have handicaps.





Thanks again, I look forward to your reply.





Carol



A question for Big W or other recent visitors to Rasa Ria


My report on the Rasa Ria at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g298307-d306368…



is an honest report on my experiences at the hotel last March.



It was my 4th stay at the Rasa Ria in the last 4 years and I have really enjoyed myself every time.



One of the reasons for complaint about the RR seems to be that is is long way from KK, but the resort should not be blamed for that, it should be out down to poor advice by Travel Agents or poor research before booking. THere are lots of thing to do in the area with nearby, very inexpensive seafood restaurants, a crocidle farm, water villages, Tuaran Town and lots of resort activities. If you want to see the Ortangs book as early as possible after your arrival as numbers are limited.



Also some people seem to complain about children. At most resorts in Sabah there are kids especially during school holidays. If you don%26#39;t want kids, avoid school holidays.



The decor of the resort and rooms are furnished with local timbers therefore may not have the apparent glitz of some crome and mirrors 5 star hotels elesewhere in the world. The rooms were actually refurbished 2 -3 years ago. They were very different the first time I stayed there.



I have never had bus in my room and plug in mosiquito reppents are provided.



I always stay in a seaview room.



The staff are wonderful, but like all staff at hotels they will respond to you in the same manner that you treat them.



The resort must be taken as a whole, with the beach, the nature reserve, all the restaurants, the Gym, the bars and the surrounding area.



I have never stayed at Magellaen but have stayed at Pacific and find the Rasa Ria to have better accomodation.



If you stay there, make use of the whole resort and I hope you love it as I do.As for the golf queations I%26#39;m sorry I can%26#39;t help as I am not a golfer.



A question for Big W or other recent visitors to Rasa Ria


Hi Carol





RRR is a great place and they treat their guests with a great deal of respect.





I found Sophry the concierge a wealth of knowledge and he will organise anything for you if you approach him the right way, nothing is too hard for him.





The rooms are great and no issues with bugs. I never needed any bug spray or mossy nets ever. I found no sandflies on the beach.





The aircon in the rooms is very cool. Cameras will need to adjust to the outside temps when leaving the rooms or they will fog up.





Sitting around the pool is really nice, be warned though it gets really hot and the UV is very high so cover up. The pool gets quite warm also.





For quad bikes, jet skis book these in advance if you know when you want them.





Orangutan best time is the morning session.





Golf at RRR is at the Dalit Bay Golf %26amp; Country Club





Go to this page for heaps of information





shangri-la.com/kotakinabalu/…index.aspx





There is also an email address at the bottom of the page





Just book and have the concierge call for a buggy to take you over there, its just 1 minute away to Dalit Bay Golf. Remember it will get very very hot and humid so an early start may be advisable.





You will have a great time





Cheers





Roger




Thanks Big W %26amp; Roger





You have certainly put my mind at ease regarding this - I would have hated it if what these people were saying was true - although their complaints did seem a little extreme.





We know the hotel is located a quite a way out of KK - this was one of its attractions for us - to be able to have a few days of no shops, traffic, rushing around etc. as we will have plenty of time for that once we stay at Sutera Harbour. As for the decor of the rooms, traditional timber sounds just fine for us - we are not ';chrome and mirror'; people, and a few kids running around won%26#39;t worry us either - we will have our ';kids'; with us too although they range in age from 18 - 23.





One more question re the golf Roger - did you need to show proof of a handicap before you were allowed to play, as some people have suggested - the guys would be devastated if they took their clubs all the way over and weren%26#39;t allowed to play.





Thanks again and I will report back after our trip.





Cheers,



Carol.




Hi Cazbra





My partner and I are staying at the Pacific Sutera in August and looking at using the golf course. I%26#39;ve done as much investigating as possible and the best I can come up with is I THINK you do not need a handicap. (I do but my partner hasn%26#39;t).





Also I quote from the Sutera%26#39;s web site....





Situated in the heart of Kota Kinabalu, surrounded by lush landscapes and tranquil seas, lies the region%26#39;s premier marina and golfing facility, the Sutera Harbour Marina, Golf %26amp; Country Club.





Featuring a magnificently unique combination of a 27-hole Graham Marsh designed championship golf course and an exclusive yacht club with a pristine marina and extensive recreational facilities. Sutera Harbour Marina, Golf %26amp; Country Club has been designed as a leisure and lifestyle club catering exclusively to the pleasure of its valued Members, their guests and guests staying at either one of the resort hotels.





Hope this helps





Dave




Hi Carol





Re the Golfing question, the golf course does not require any handicap to play.





Cheers





Roger




Hi Roger





Thanks for that.





Cheers,



Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment